New Year’s Resolution
By Sierra Dean, Justine PETERSEN Community Investment and Outreach VISTA
Did you make a New Year’s resolution to be financially fit? Getting it done and staying on task could be a challenge. We all tend to become easily sidetracked, find ways to make excuses, or just procrastinate.
At the University of Scranton research suggests that just 8% of people achieve their New Year goals. Considering that 45% of Americans make a New Year’s resolution and of those 25% of resolutions fail within the first week. It would be great if we could get that achieving number higher.
New Year, new beginnings, and new life, as some would say. Let’s grasp on how to keep our promises to ourselves when we make resolutions. Here’s some a few ways:
- Be specific about what your goals are. Don’t just say that you need to save money or that you need to lose weight. Write down exactly how much money you want to save and how much you would need to save monthly. So, if you want to have $2,000 in your savings account after 12 months, then you need to automatically deposit $167 into your savings account monthly.
- Make a list of things that you will accomplish each day to get you towards your goals. Start off small, don’t overwhelm yourself with too much on your to do list. If you’re working towards saving, then your list may consist of different banks or credit unions to reach out to in order to find the best interest rate.
- You could possibly write down different ways to make more money by doing the things love like, writing, drawing, sewing, knitting, etc. Turn your interests into cash flow and deposit the extra money into your savings account.
- Surround yourself with wealth minded individuals and start to attend reputable seminars or workshops that pertain to the process of wealth building. Remember, building wealth does not happen overnight, consistent savings is the foundation that wealth and prosperity are built on.
- Write down your goals, then hang it on your wall, post it on your desktop, or even save it as your screensaver on your phone. Have fun with it!
Keep going after the prize and you will get there eventually. Make sure you celebrate every small win!
Share This Post